United Technologies Corporation Senior Systems Engineer - Design Assurance Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Job ID: 16697
City: Cedar Rapids
Country: United States
Category: Engineering, Systems
Requisition ID: 16697
At Collins Aerospace, we’re dedicated to relentlessly tackling the toughest challenges in our industry – all to redefine aerospace.
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies – Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems – we’re driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
The Design Assurance Center (DAC) of Excellence is looking for experienced engineering professionals who are interested in applying their technical skills and experiences to improve Collins Aerospace design and development methods and mentor engineering teams. This position is responsible for working with the engineering design and development teams throughout the development lifecycle to provide quality-focused technical and process oversight for Collins Aerospace product developments. As a DAC team member, you will help ensure new product designs meet or exceed requirements, engineering best practices are followed, customer and regulatory agency requirements are understood and met, and defects are identified and eliminated prior to production.
In this role, the ideal candidate will be capable of advising project teams and leadership of design quality trends and systemic issues, working with organizations to investigate issues, understanding and leading efforts to determine root cause of design issues, and recommending corrective actions to achieve high quality designs.
This position requires the applicant to have a thorough understanding of, and demonstrated experience in, system design and development process and methods, including requirements analysis and capture, integration, test, and engineering documentation.
• LEAD DESIGN ASSURANCE ENGAGEMENT . Serve as the primary design assurance point of contact for assigned engineering projects. Develop project-specific quality plans for new product developments as required. Collaborate with other DAC Subject Matter Experts on your team to ensure appropriate technical engagement with projects. Represent the DAC at customer events.
• ASSESS ENGINEERING EFFECTIVENESS . Ensure engineering efforts are performed effectively and efficiently, meeting customer, company, and applicable regulatory requirements (including DO-178B/C and ARP4754A) and quality expectations. Contribute to design reviews, test readiness reviews, and other project reviews and team meetings.
• MENTOR TEAMS . Mentor engineering teams as needed throughout the development lifecycle in the areas of process, tools, design quality, and regulatory requirements to ensure robust and problem-free deliveries.
• EVALUATE PROJECTS . Perform proactive, ongoing assessments to determine the health of projects using objective measurements and audits. Produce metrics reports for management review. Employ methods such as root cause analysis as appropriate. Analyze project data for trends and systemic issues. Recommend corrective actions.
• FACILITATE CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT. Lead the efforts of cross-functional teams to ensure that quality issues seen in legacy products are avoided in new designs. Assist with engineering project planning activities, ensuring plans account for lessons learned across the enterprise.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Candidate must be a self-starter, be able to multi-task, manage unplanned events, and take advantage of opportunities and events to achieve results that exceed expectations. Candidate must be able to communicate effectively with employees at all levels in the organization, demonstrating excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and decision making skills. Solid understanding and experience in the engineering development lifecycle with emphasis on design quality aspects is critical for success. Design engineering experience is required.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following skills or direct experience:
• A strong customer focus.
• A proven track record of meeting commitments.
• A strong working knowledge of design processes.
• Apply critical thinking.
• Apply strategic thinking.
• An understanding of Lean value and savings.
• An ability to communicate masterfully both verbally and in writing.
• An ability to establish rapport and engagement with all levels of the organization, including leadership, internal engineering customers, shared service organizations, and external customers.
• Working knowledge of the aerospace industry.
Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline.
Experience working on a design and development project as a Systems Engineer.
Direct project experience with any of the following lifecycle processes:
Project planning, systems-level requirements, systems design, system integration, system verification, configuration management, quality assurance, certification
CMMI (Level 3 or higher)
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
Life insurance and disability coverage
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
Collins Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
Thank you for your interest in a career at United Technologies! We will soon upgrade to an improved job application system to simplify the apply experience. You will still be able to apply to any of our current job openings through December 18, 2018. On January 2, 2019, our new and improved job application system will launch; please check back on that date to see all of our job openings.